PRIF's Research Department I “International Security” is seeking to employ at the earliest possible date
One researcher (m/f/d)
in full time (100%), salary scale E 13 TV-H.
The position is offered on a fixed-term basis until March 31, 2026 (under the terms of the WissZVG), with a possible extension until 31 December, 2026. The position is part of the Research Group on Chemical and Biological Weapons Control that was recently established within the new Cluster for Natural and Technical Science Arms Control Research (CNTR) set up by PRIF in cooperation with the Technical University Darmstadt and Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU). The Cluster is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office. The CNTR Research Group on CBW control is led by Prof. Dr. P. R. Schreiner (JLU, Institute of Organic Chemistry) and Dr. U. Jakob (PRIF). It aims to scrutinize current issues in biological and chemical weapons control in an interdisciplinary way from the perspectives of natural, technical and political sciences and to develop technologically-informed policy options for practitioners.
Your responsibilities include:
- Research at the intersection of the natural science and peace and conflict studies;
- Scientifically-based research on the disarmament and non-proliferation of chemical weapons and chemical security (including work in the lab);
- Monitoring, tracking and assessing relevant scientific and technological developments in chemistry and/or other relevant scientific disciplines, including through a Technology Monitor;
- Contributing to the planning and arranging of relevant workshops and conferences;
- Publication of research results for various audiences;
- Participation in research on cross-cutting issues within the Cluster;
- Collaboration with colleagues at the Cluster, at PRIF and at JLU;
- Support for the local, national, and international networking activities of the Research Group, the Cluster and all partners.
In addition, we expect a willingness to collaborate in an interdisciplinary context and to communicate research results to the political and general public. We also expect participation in the committees and overall work contexts of PRIF and JLU as well as your presence at the workplaces in Frankfurt and Gießen.
As applicant, you should fulfill the following requirements:
- Above-average degree in pertinent sub-disciplines of the natural sciences, in particular in chemistry;
- Doctorate in chemistry;
- Research interests in the area of chemical weapons control and disarmament, or chemical security, protection and defense;
- Relevant experience in the synthesis and characterization of substances, investigation of their properties, spectroscopic evidence; ability to handle small sample quantities
- Willingness to work and cooperate in interdisciplinary project teams and to engage with political research questions;
- Very good spoken and written command of English.
You can expect:
- Family-friendly and flexible working hours;
- An interesting and varied workplace with affiliations at PRIF and the Faculty of Biology and Chemistry at JLU;
- A motivated and committed team;
- An interdisciplinary and international project setting;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- The opportunity for scientific research and further academic qualification;
- Teaching opportunities;
- Occupational pension scheme (“VBL”);
PRIF is a recipient of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote equal representation in the work force at all levels and work/life balance. JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference.
Please send your application documents, including a cover letter, complete CV (without photo), certificates, references, and your preliminary research ideas, in one single pdf file via e-mail to application(at)prif.org. Please include the position code “CNTR CBW”. Please note that there is no application deadline for this position. Incoming applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.