As a research and transfer cluster, CNTR combines basic research and academic exchange with the transfer of results into politics and society. Our researchers therefore network with the scientific community at conferences and symposia. At the same time, they contribute their expertise in dialogue with political decision-makers, in the media and in publicly accessible formats.
Here you find an overview of where our staff members have presented, discussed or been approached in the past:
- Erlangen Conference 2023 „Academia engagement in multilateral export controls: Dialogue for effective approaches to implementing United Nations Security Council Resolution 1540 (2004)“, organized by the German government in cooperation with UNODA on November 8-9, 2023. Una Jakob presented the work of the Joint Committee on the Handling of Security-Relevant Research of the German Research Foundation and the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- Panel discussion “Biosecurity Research – Challenges in Communication between Science and Politics” at the Medical Biodefence Conference 2023, organized by the Bundeswehr Institute of Microbiology in Munich on October 22–25, 2023. Una Jakob participated as a panelist.
- Science · Peace · Security '23, Scientific conference at the Technical University of Darmstadt, organized by TraCe, CROSSING and FONAS on September 20–22, 2023. Christian Reuter chaired the conference and participated as chair and panelist. Niklas Schörnig participated as a panelist.
- “Biorisks, Biosecurity and Biological Disarmament Conference”, organised by UNIDIR, UNODA and WHO in Geneva on July 4–5, 2023. Una Jakob moderated the panel “Monitoring and Verification for the BWC”.
- CBWNet Workshop “Great Power Competition and the Norms of the CBW Prohibition Regimes”, in Berlin on May 8–9, 2023. Una Jakob gave a presentation on the United Nations Secretary General's Mechanism for Investigation of Alleged Chemical and Biological Weapons Use.
- Panel discussion “Emerging Technologies: Impact on Peace and Security?” at the conference Reimagining Peace: New Agendas for Research & Policy in Times of Conflict, organized by the Flemish Peace Institute in Brussels on May 8–9, 2023. Frank Kuhn participated as a panelist.
- Biorisk Expert Workshop “Biorisk Awareness and the Biological Weapons Convention”, organized by SIPRI in Stockholm on January 17–18, 2023. Una Jakob participated.
- Meetings of the Biological Weapons Convention Working Group in Geneva in August 2023. Una Jakob participated as advisor to the German delegation.
- Young Women in Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Mentorship Programme 2023-24, sponsored by the EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Consortium. Una Jakob participates as mentor.
- “Wie Naturwissenschaftler bei der Rüstungskontrolle helfen können”, FAZ, October 10, 2023, Interview with Christopher Daase (in German).
- “Vier Milliarden für Raketen-Abwehr: Deutschland kauft neues Waffensystem in Israel”, WDR 5 Echo des Tages, August 17, 2023, Interview with Frank Kuhn (in German).
- “Russische Bedrohung: Welche militärischen Signale von Air Defender 2023 ausgehen”, SWR Aktuell im Gespräch, June 12, 2023, Interview with Niklas Schörnig (in German).
CNTR is present in Frankfurt am Main as well as in political Berlin. Are you looking for experts for interviews, events or background discussions? We will be happy to put you in touch with our researchers.